Nutrition is the result of daily consumption of all nutrients recommended for a healthy, balanced diet. Good nutrition has two purposes: to provide the energy needed for physical activity and maintain body functions.
Water is needed to run vital functions and provide certain minerals that keep us healthy. An average of 80% of our body is composed of water.
What are nutrients?
Everything we eat is used by the digestive system to create nutrients the body needs to function. These essential nutrients include:
1. Carbohydrates. These are the main source of energy in the body. They are found in foods such as cereals and vegetables.
2. Proteins. These are essential for recovery and rebuilding of body tissues. People need to consume an average of 5 to 6 ounces of protein each day. For example, the size of two decks, cards or boxes of cards is approximately equivalent to five ounces of meat / protein. Meat, milk, eggs, beans or lentils and beans are examples of foods with protein.
3. Fats. It is important to eat foods low in fat and saturated fat. For example, semi-skim or 1% milk fat, nonfat yogurt and cheeses, cuts of meat with little fat, fish and poultry without skin and skin, among other foods. Excessive consumption of fats can cause obesity and is a risk factor for cardiovascular disease, cancer and other health problems.
4. Vitamins. These nutrients are found in everything we eat except water. They are important for the healthy growth of body and to maintain basic bodily functions.
5. Minerals. These are essential for proper growth, reproduction and good health.
Tips for Choosing Foods saludablesi:
* Eat a variety of foods
* Maintain a balance between food consumed and physical activity that is done to maintain or reduce weight
* Choose a diet rich in whole grains, vegetables and fruits
* Reduce fat and cholesterol in the daily diet
* Choose a diet low in sugar, salt and sodium
* Avoid foods containing saturated fats
* Reduce the consumption of alcoholic beverages
How many calories you should eat each day?
The total number of daily calories you should eat depends on gender, age, height and physical activity that is done regardless of their lifestyle. The labels on food products indicate the amount of calories that the product contains. If you are pregnant, your doctor will tell you what foods to eat and how much.
What do the labels on food products?
The labels on food products indicate the size and number of servings are in a base plate or package. They also show the amount of calories and nutrients, the amount of saturated fat, cholesterol, sodium, sugar or fructose, among other data. The labels serve as a guide to buying healthier foods.
How do you read the labels on food products?
For example: a bottle of apple juice. It is likely that the label says in big letters this is apple juice. The label contains information on packaged products. The ingredients of a product are listed in order of quantity, more or less. For example, if water appears first on the list is because the product contains more water than any other ingredient.